It has been an incredible honor to serve as your Porter County Auditor these past three years. When I was first elected, I promised to work full-time, devoting my energies every day toward making our Auditor's Office the most efficient, effective, and respected office possible. I hope I have earned your trust, and I ask for your support as I seek re-election as the county's chief accountant and fiscal officer.
As the first CPA to serve as Porter County Auditor, I know that solid accounting practices and strong internal controls are essential for proper fiscal management. I'm proud to say that my team and I have made significant accomplishments that have saved taxpayers' money, enhanced accountability and transparency, and helped get county government back on track fiscally.
Among our accomplishments, we:
- Saved more than $1 million during my first term by eliminating costly contracts and taking on more work in-house despite a traditionally lower staff size.
- Have a proven track record of completing projects on a timely basis without compromising quality. In fact, our most recent tax settlement was the earliest December distribution in at least 10 years!
- Returned more than $480,000 to the county general fund through our in-house homestead compliance efforts.
- Brought Porter County into the 21st century with a major upgrade of our financial system and long-overdue, and continuing, payroll enhancements.
- Improved controls in payroll and federal grants reporting -- improvements that led state auditors to remove negative audit findings that plagued Porter County for years.
- Launched a disabled veterans research project aimed at identifying disabled veterans eligible for a property tax deduction.
- Made public outreach a top priority through efforts such as our Coffee with the Clerks, our Saving Money art contest for kids, informational brochures and fliers, public workshops, and an active webpage and Facebook page.
Thank you for visiting this site and I hope you will return as the campaign gets underway.
From the bottom of my heart, I thank you for your support this year.
Vicki Urbanik, CPA, CGFM
Porter County Auditor